External Refurbishment to this listed bridge structure in the heart of a busy residential near the centre of Bedford.
Location: The Embankment, Bedford, MK40 8SB
JBSR were engaged on this project by Bedford Borough Council to undertake the external refurbishment of this listed bridge structure in the heart of a residential area of Bedford.
The location and works scope required our comprehensive experience in pontoon access which we facilitated utilising our own pontoon equipment, whilst ensuring pedestrian re-direction and emergency access routes were maintained for the duration. Through careful planning and consideration of working practices the project was successfully completed in this sensitive location.
The scope for this project consisted of:
- Provision of mobile welfare facilities due to limited space available
- Supply, installation and maintenance of specialist pontoon access, owned and supplied by JBSR.
- Abrasive vacuum grit blast procedures complete with works area segregation, tenting and protection of watercourse from ingress of media and surface arising’s.
- Full visual and hammer tap survey's to all concrete elements of the bridge structure to identify all areas requiring repair
- Break out of all defective concrete elements ensuring over breaking was avoided to the slim soffit structure.
- Preparation and priming of the in-situ steelwork reinforcement
- Completion of the concrete repairs as required restoring structural integrity of the bridge structure
- Application of migratory corrosion inhibitors to protect the in-situ steel reinforcement from advancement of steel corrosion.
- Wholesale render repairs to the concrete balustrades forming the bridge edge protection.
- Application of protective coatings to provide protection to the newly placed repairs whilst improving the aesthetics of the structure.
Case Study - Newnham Bridge
Click here to download