The extensive external refurbishment of two medium-rise occupied residential blocks in the city of Norwich
Location: Heathgate Estate, Norwich, NR3 1PW
History of the project
The Heathgate estate is located in the North-East of Norwich, approximately 1 mile from the town centre. The estate comprises nine Medium-Rise blocks of flats, with Phase 1 encompassing the extensive external refurbishment of two of these blocks.
This main contract scheme of works awarded to JBSR involved the extensive refurbishment of two occupied residential blocks of flats. The scheme required continual liaison with both residents and the neighbourhood team to ensure minimal disruption to residents and the smooth execution of the project.
The scheme of works included:
- Early contractor engagement with material manufacturers, to agree the material specifications in order to satisfy the project performance criteria and achieve the required warranties on completion of the works.
- Provision of fixed tied scaffolding to the full perimeter of both blocks to facilitate safe access to all elements of the building facade including private and communal balcony walkways.
- Full conditional survey of all concrete and brickwork elements to identify any in-situ defects within the substrates for the subsequent agreement by the project engineer
- Breaking out, preparation and subsequent making good of all defective concrete elements, to provide a uniform finish matching existing lines and levels utilising proprietary repair mortars in readiness for subsequent application of protective coatings
- Application of Margel migratory corrosion inhibitors (MCI's) to arrest the effects of active or future corrosion of the in-situ steel reinforcement within the concrete elements
- Application of fairing coatings to provide additional cover and protection to reinforced concrete elements as part of the agreed concrete repair specification
- Application of specialist elastomeric anti-carbonation coatings to concrete elements to provide additional protection against atmospheric effects on the substrate.
- Brickwork repair and masonry stabilisation works utilising the Helifix range of repair solutions to the full agreement of the engineer and Helifix
- Renewal of existing walkway and private balcony balustrades, to include the design, fabrication and installation
- Application of non-slip waterproof walkway coatings to communal walkways and private balconies. These works included the repair and making good of the asphalt covered walkways in order to achieve the 15-year warranty on completion of the works.
Following the success of Phase 1 of the project, JBSR has been awarded Phase 2 under competitive tender, involving the refurbishment of two additional blocks in line with the scheme of works as above.
Heathgate Case Study
Heathgate Phase 1 Case Study