Flood defence barrier & sheet pile repair and protection works to three tidal water sites in and around Canvey Island, Essex
Location: Canvey Island, Essex
JBSR undertook this extensive flood defence repair and protection scheme to three respective sites within Canvey Island on behalf of the Environment Agency through there elected framework contractor Interserve.
Initially JBSR made the provision for powerboat access and trained surveyors / operatives to undertake conditional surveys to enable project specifications to be designed and agreed by the project engineers. Subsequently our input, along with the specialist material manufacturer Flexcrete, was sought with regards the application methodology and to assist in the selection of suitable fast curing repair mortars and waterproof coatings for use in this tidal water project.
On completion of the pre-commencement planning stage, the following agreed scope of works for this scheme was undertaken:
- Provision of our specialist pontoon access equipment to facilitate continual access to both the sheet pile and flood defence barrier installations, allowing for a safe and flexible working platform to accomodate the complexities of this tidal water repair project.
- Surface preparation utilising vacuum grit blasting operations in conjunction with containment tenting to restrict entry of blast medium and contaminants into the watercourse.
- Localised sheet pile repairs in preparation for subsequent Flexcrete marine grade protective coating application
- Replacement of defence barrier gate seals to all three sites
- Breakout of defective concrete elements to the defence barrier installations and reinstatement with fast curing cementitious repair mortars
- Spray applied Flexcrete marine grade protective coatings (inclusive of specification design and trial works to ensure compatibility with existing coatings)
Case Study - Canvey Island FDB
Click here to download